Wednesday, October 19, 2005
Coffee has no fat
Coffee in its "purest" form has no fat and no calories whatsoever. But here come the shockers:
- Two tablespoons of flavored nondairy creamer (liquid) adds 80 calories and four grams of fat (as much as a pat of butter).
- Two tablespoons of flavored syrup adds 80 calories, but no fat.
- One tablespoon of cream adds 50 calories and six grams of fat.
- One tablespoon of half-and-half has 20 calories and two grams of fat.
- Cappuccino (espresso, steamed milk, foamed milk) has seven grams of fat and 137 calories when whole milk is used; four grams of fat and 109 calories with low-fat milk; just under a half gram of fat and 80 calories with fat-free milk.
- Coffee latte (espresso and steamed milk) has 212 calories and nine grams of fat when whole milk is used; 167 calories and six grams of fat with low-fat milk; 123 calories and 0.6 grams fat with fat-free milk.
- Coffee mocha with whole milk (espresso, cocoa, steamed milk) has 340 calories and 20 grams of fat with whipped cream; 260 calories with six grams of fat without whipped cream.
- Coffee mocha with low-fat milk has 302 calories and 16 grams of fat with whipped cream; 220 calories and six grams of fat minus whipped cream.
- Coffee mocha with fat-free milk has 264 calories and 11 grams of fat with whipped cream and 182 calories; two grams of fat without whipped cream.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Choose the smallest size cup, either eight or 12 ounces. This can save you up to 110 calories.
- Ask that your beverage be made with fat-free milk instead of whole milk. This saves you about 80 calories and up to eight grams of fat.
- Use a sugar substitute instead of real sugar. One teaspoon of sugar is 15 calories.
- Order coffee without whipped cream, flavored syrup, chocolate or candy pieces.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]